It is famous the saying that in a corporate world “Dress for the job you want, not for the one you have”. It is a well-known fact that when you look at a person for the first time, you notice the way he dresses, which is basically the first impression of any person.
In a corporate world, it is very important to dress appropriately and attractively for several reasons, one of the most important reasons to dress appropriately in the workplace is that it gives a visual image and gives the impression that the person is professional. . . Over the years there have been so many changes in clothing trends that people have forgotten what really appeals to a suitable workplace.
Recently, scientists from Columbia University and Cal State Northridge examined how clothing can affect thoughts. The results showed that wearing formal clothing can free people from concrete thinking while increasing their ability to think more practically.
Reasons to dress for success:
There are several reasons why one should always dress attractively:
• Make a Good Impression: The first impression of a person says a lot about him, it is very important to make a good impression on the person you meet for the first time, if you are dressed carelessly for an interview or a corporate meeting, it tends to give a bad impression and the people around you would consider you unprofessional and never take you seriously.
• Boosts Confidence – When you’re attractively dressed, you automatically boost your confidence, which helps improve your day and helps you perform well in the workplace.
• Promotes self-confidence: If you take the time, effort, and pride to dress well, you will certainly give yourself an image of respect and self-esteem. People will see you and think positively of you. When people see you in your clean, tight clothes and consider you worthy of their time and company.
• Helps maintain productivity – It’s easy to get comfortable wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt, however, once you’re in your comfort zone, you start to feel lazy. But when you’re dressed formally, you look good, you feel good, and you’ll be more motivated to get things done while being more productive.
• Gives a competitive edge: Dressing to impress gives you a competitive edge. Not just for finding a job, it can also help jumpstart new business or help you close a potential sale. A strong first impression leaves a lasting impression. When you dress well, it shows that you are taking care of yourself, and now you are ready to take care of your clients.
How to dress for success:
One of the biggest questions these days is how should one dress for success? The answer to this is that it is very important to have a powerful professional wardrobe that will lead you on the path to success. You should keep in mind some tips when buying your professional wardrobe. Those are:
1. Get inspired: The change of seasons is the perfect time to hit the pause button and get inspired! Take time to flip through magazines, go downtown, surf the web and be inspired by the natural style that resets with the change of seasons.
2. Pick your colors: Color is one of the easiest ways to update your wardrobe, and yet it’s all too easy to get stuck. Opt for the seasonal color. Commit to a tight palette of novelties. Just one or two new colors go a long way.
3. Get comfortable: It’s tempting to feel like you need to dress a certain way when you’re under pressure for a big meeting. Comfort breeds confidence. Wearing what makes you feel comfortable will have a positive impact on your ability to come across as your best self.
4. Shop smart: After taking inventory of your existing wardrobe, identify any gaps and shop with clear intent. This approach will prevent you from over-buying and will also ensure that you can style many different looks.
There is a non-profit organization by the name of “Dress for Success” that provides professional clothing to low-income women to help them in their job search and interview process. This organization was founded in 1997 by Nancy Lublin and has since spread from Harlem, New York, to 79 cities in the United States and around the world in 2004, reaching about 45,000 clients each year in 2006, and now serves to 850,000 women in 140 rentals The current CEO of the parent organization is Joi Gordon. The organization’s approach is based on social research that suggests the right attraction is important for “impression formation,” which in turn affects job prospects.
Now a global organization, Dress for Success Worldwide supports its programs through a combination of grants, government funding, fundraising events and campaigns. In 2013, the parent organization received more than $17 million in funding, more than 99% of which came from direct contributions from individuals, corporations, and non-governmental organizations.