What baby shower gift should you give to a co-worker or acquaintance you don’t know very well?
Inexpensive baby gifts for coworkers and acquaintances
It has happened to all of us. There is a baby shower at work for someone you don’t really know, a friend of a friend is taking a bath and somehow you were invited, your sister’s sister-in-law is going to have a baby, whatever the reason, sometimes you need to find the perfect baby gift for someone you barely know. What should you get? How much should you spend?
It is a complicated matter, without a doubt. You don’t want to spend a lot of money, but you also don’t want to give the impression that you don’t care or are stingy. If you’re shopping for a baby shower gift for someone you don’t really know, or only occasionally interact with at work, you don’t need to spend a ton. Most people agree that $ 15 to $ 25 is an appropriate amount to spend for such a person.
So what kinds of baby gifts can you get in the $ 15 to $ 25 range that are still really nice? Fortunately, there are many to choose from. Here are some options:
- Single Tier Diaper Cakes – You can find diaper cakes in many designs. Small single-tier ones can often be quite affordable.
- Diaper Cupcakes: A smaller version of the diaper cake, a diaper cupcake makes a lovely little gift. They usually include several diapers and one or two other small items for the baby. Most cost around $ 10, so they can be very inexpensive. You can even make two together for a more impressive gift.
- Hooded Towels and Blankets: New moms can never get enough of any of these.
- Sock Flower Bouquets / Baby T-Shirt Bouquets: These will be close to the $ 25- $ 30 range, but they really make a statement. In addition, they are very practical and very beautiful. You will not have to worry about anyone thinking that you did not spend enough, because they will be too busy admiring the cute gift.
- A baby suit. If you choose to go this route, consider purchasing an outfit for when your baby is a little older. New moms rarely get clothes for 9-12 month olds. It is a real treat when the baby begins to grow to have a set or two waiting there.
- A gift pack of baby lotions or pregnancy / new mom lotions.
- Novelty baby t-shirts, you know the ones with funny sayings. Make sure it’s one that most people enjoy and it will make everyone laugh.
Avoid these gifts:
- A pack of diapers. Yes, it is wonderful to have diapers for the baby. Yes, a pack of diapers fits very well in this price range. Yes, diapers are very practical. So why not buy a bundle? First of all, if you don’t know Mom well, you won’t know if she plans to use disposables or fabrics. Most cloth wearers will use a few disposables from time to time when out and about, but they won’t go through a pack of a certain size. Diapers in a single diaper cake or cupcake are perfect for gifting them a few diapers “away” without giving them so many that they will not be used. More importantly though, even if you know they plan to use disposables, a diaper pack doesn’t make for a good gift presentation. Although they can be quite expensive, most people think that diapers are inexpensive and are likely to see them as a “cheap” gift when given alone (although they are great when given in gift sets).
- Simple stuffed animals. Who doesn’t think of stuffed animals when they think of babies, right? So why not a stuffed animal? Actually, a cute stuffed animal, embroidered with the baby’s name, might just be wonderful, although it might be hard to find at this price unless it’s small. The only problem with stuffed animals is that new parents tend to have LOTS of them. Where should they put all those stuffed animals? If there is something really special about the animal, then take it, but if it is just an everyday stuffed animal, you may want to help the parents by not adding anything to the collection.
- Novelty baby tees that are over the top. Be careful if you don’t know the new parents’ sense of humor. Play it safe and find one that almost everyone would appreciate.
With a little thought and careful searching, it’s not hard to find a perfect inexpensive gift for someone you barely know.